Jewish State Schools in the Vilna School District. Records.

Title: Jewish State Schools in the Vilna School District
Inclusive Dates: 1847-1910
ID: RG 52
expand icon Extent Information
2'3.5"; 5 5"lgl; 1 2.5"lgl
expand icon Biographical/Historical
The Jewish state schools in the Russian Empire were established in 1844 by a decree of Nicholas I.  This network was intended to serve as a counterbalance to the traditional heder.  The schools had a diverse teaching program ranging from two to four years of instruction.  The supervisors of these schools were Christians.  A percentage of the Jewish candle and meat tax was used for the financial support of the schools.  The first schools were opened in Vilna and Zhitomir in 1847.  Because of the schools' assimilationist character they aroused strong opposition from the Jews.  By 1861 only 5 schools remained.
expand icon Forms of Material (links to similar genres)
expand icon Administrative Information
Restrictions: The collection is open to researchers with the permission of the Chief Archivists. Researchers should write to the Chief Archivist at to request an appointment.

The images, documents, film footage, audio materials, and texts displayed in any portion of this web site may be copyrighted. Permission to use this web site is given on condition that the user agrees to follow U.S. copyright laws. The user agrees that she or he assumes liability for any copyright violations resulting from unauthorized use of items appearing on this web site and to hold YIVO harmless from any action involving copyright infringement. It is the responsibility of the user to carry out a due diligence search under U.S. c opyright laws to determine the copyright status of items displayed on this web site.

The materials on this web site may be used for personal, research and educational purposes only. Publication (including posting on the Internet and online exhibitions) or any other use without prior authorization is prohibited. To request permission for use of these materials, please apply in writing to: YIVO Archives, YIVO Institute for Jewish Research, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY 10011,

Restrictions: The collection is open by appointment with the Chief Archivist. Researchers should write to the Chief Archivist at to request an appointment.

expand icon Other Note
Inventory: Yiddish, 5 pp., typed

Archive powered by Archon Version 3.14
Copyright © 2011 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign