Rabbinical School and Teachers' Seminary, Vilna. Records.
Organization: Boxes 1-51 are arranged in folder numerical sequence; Boxes 52-53 are arranged chronologically
Arrangement: The collection is divided into 2 parts: Part I) Records of the Rabbinical School, Vilna (folders 1-157); Part II) Records of the Teachers' Institute, Vilna (158-399)
The Rabbinical School in Vilna was one of several Jewish state schools established in the Russian Empire in 1847. The purpose of these schools was to undermine and replace the traditional heder system of education.
The school in Vilna consisted of two divisions: a pedagogical division which trained teachers for Jewish state elementary schools, and a rabbinical division which prepared state appointed rabbis. Rabbinical students enjoyed certain benefits such as exemption from military service and from some taxes. The financial upkeep of the school was derived from a share of the Jewish communal candle and meat tax. The state schools were unpopular because of their assimilationist policies. The Vilna Rabbinical School was closed in 1873, but the Teachers' Seminary remained in existence until 1914.
The images, documents, film footage, audio materials, and texts displayed in any portion of this web site may be copyrighted. Permission to use this web site is given on condition that the user agrees to follow U.S. copyright laws. The user agrees that she or he assumes liability for any copyright violations resulting from unauthorized use of items appearing on this web site and to hold YIVO harmless from any action involving copyright infringement. It is the responsibility of the user to carry out a due diligence search under U.S. c opyright laws to determine the copyright status of items displayed on this web site.
The materials on this web site may be used for personal, research and educational purposes only. Publication (including posting on the Internet and online exhibitions) or any other use without prior authorization is prohibited. To request permission for use of these materials, please apply in writing to: YIVO Archives, YIVO Institute for Jewish Research, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY 10011, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Restrictions: The collection is open by appointment with the Chief Archivist. Researchers should write to the Chief Archivist at email@example.com to request an appointment.
Records of the Rabbinical School, 1847-1873. Administrative records. Correspondents include: Ministry of Education for the Province of Byelorussia; Curator of the Vilna School District; Governor General of Vilna. Correspondence relates to the following topics: courses; appointment of teachers; school finances; teachers' affairs. Financial reports. Minutes of the Pedagogical Council. Lists of students, teachers, officials. Lists of textbooks. Diplomas of teachers and students. Examination lists. Materials relating to payment of salaries to school officials. Lists of towns and firms paying taxes for the support of the school, 1854-1855. Materials relating to the closing of the Rabbinical School.
Records of the Teachers' Seminary. Correspondence from the Ministry of Education. Correspondence and circulars from the Vilna School District. Materials relating to the candle taxes, 1874. Financial records. Hiring of teachers and officials. Teachers' record books. Student affairs. Graduation certificates. Curricula, reports. List of students. Book of student grades. Reports on school work. Lists of permitted and prohibited books. Examination lists.