Hevrah Mefitsei Haskalah Society (Vilna). Records.

Title: Hevra Mefitsei Haskalah Society
Inclusive Dates: 1909-1938
ID: RG 22
expand icon Extent Information
1'8"; 4 5"lgl
expand icon Arrangement
This collection is partially arranged and requires additional arrangement.
expand icon Biographical/Historical
The Hevrah Mefitsei Haskalah Society (Society for the Promotion of Culture Among the Jews of Russia) was founded in St. Petersburg in 1863 with the financial support of wealthy Jews such as the Barons Gunzburg and Leon Rosenthal. Its original purpose was to disseminate Russian language and culture among the Jews in order to encourage assimilation and to remove the cultural and religious barriers between Jews and Russians.  The founders believed that this would hasten the granting of civic equality to Jews.  The society's practical objectives were to teach Russian language and culture, to promote secular education, and to publish books and periodicals in Russian and Hebrew. Eventually, branches were opened in Moscow, Riga, Kiev, Grodno, Vilna, and other cities.  The society was dissolved by Soviet authorities in 1930.  The Vilna branch was founded in 1909.  It maintained schools, encouraged the formation of cultural centers, organized cultural activities such as lectures and conferences.  The Vilna branch continued to exist until 1938.
expand icon Forms of Material (links to similar genres)
expand icon Administrative Information
Restrictions: The collection is open by appointment and with the permission of the Chief Archivist. Researchers should write to archives@yivo.cjh.org to request an appointment.

The images, documents, film footage, audio materials, and texts displayed in any portion of this web site may be copyrighted. Permission to use this web site is given on condition that the user agrees to follow U.S. copyright laws. The user agrees that she or he assumes liability for any copyright violations resulting from unauthorized use of items appearing on this web site and to hold YIVO harmless from any action involving copyright infringement. It is the responsibility of the user to carry out a due diligence search under U.S. c opyright laws to determine the copyright status of items displayed on this web site.

The materials on this web site may be used for personal, research and educational purposes only. Publication (including posting on the Internet and online exhibitions) or any other use without prior authorization is prohibited. To request permission for use of these materials, please apply in writing to: YIVO Archives, YIVO Institute for Jewish Research, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY 10011, archives@yivo.cjh.org.

Restrictions: The collection is open by appointment with the Chief Archivist. Researchers should write to the Chief Archivist at archives@yivo.cjh.org to request an appointment.

expand icon Other Note
In house Inventory: English, 2 pp., Yiddish, 3 pp., typed

Archive powered by Archon Version 3.14
Copyright © 2011 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign