Krotoszyn Jewish Community Council. Records.
The Polish town of Krotoszyn (province of Poznan, Western Poland) was annexed by Prussia following the partition of Poland in 1793. The Jewish community of Krotoszyn had been in existence since the 14th century and was known for its participation in Jewish affairs in Poland, notably its representation in the Council of the Four Lands. Under Prussian domination the community became germanized. Towards the end of the 19th century there was a decline in the Jewish population and by 1918 when Krotoszyn was returned to Poland, the Jewish community had ceased to exist.
YIVO holds only part of the Krotoszyn communal archives. Another portion was sent ca. 1900 to the Gesamtarchiv der Deutschen Juden in Berlin. The fate of this group of documents is unknown.
The images, documents, film footage, audio materials, and texts displayed in any portion of this web site may be copyrighted. Permission to use this web site is given on condition that the user agrees to follow U.S. copyright laws. The user agrees that she or he assumes liability for any copyright violations resulting from unauthorized use of items appearing on this web site and to hold YIVO harmless from any action involving copyright infringement. It is the responsibility of the user to carry out a due diligence search under U.S. c opyright laws to determine the copyright status of items displayed on this web site.
The materials on this web site may be used for personal, research and educational purposes only. Publication (including posting on the Internet and online exhibitions) or any other use without prior authorization is prohibited. To request permission for use of these materials, please apply in writing to: YIVO Archives, YIVO Institute for Jewish Research, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY 10011, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Restrictions: The collection is open by appointment with the Chief Archivist. Researchers should write to the Chief Archivist at email@example.com to request an appointment.